Happy St. Patrick’s Day. We carry green grass at J&J Nursery and Madison Gardens Nursery.
Become a green thumb by dropping by to talk to our fertilizer representative! One of the secrets to becoming a great green thumb is you need to know how to fertilize your plants! Fertilizing is a MUST.
We have two classes coming up! Drop by March 3rd or 10th between 10AM-12PM and get your questions answered about how to fertilize your plants! This is a great class to learn how to become a green thumb and get your plants to grow and thrive!
If you have insect or weed problems, bring a sample of your damaged plant in a plastic bag. Our expert can answer your questions about that, too!
See you March 3rd and 10th! Come prepared with questions!
So many weeds, so little time! It’s time for Fall fertilizing! Fall in love with great savings!
All three fertilizers are safe for grass, trees, shrubs and flower beds.
Do not mix all three packages. Apply Crabgrass Preventer Plus Lawn Food first, Bug Blaster second, F-Stop third.
Out hustle, out last and out GRASS the competition with Barenbrug SOS 400 RYE GRASS SEEDS. Now available at J&J Nursery and Madison Gardens Nursery in Spring, TX!
Barenbrug SOS TurfAnnuals provide economy, turf quality, transition and solutions to challenging conditions. SOS 400 is great for planting grass seeds during Texas’ cooler fall and winter months.
Practice winning every day with excellent grass fields during winter and early spring practice and play.
Compared to many higher priced grasses, SOS has faster establishment, superior predictable spring transition and is affordable.
The seeds germinate with soil temps in the mid-40’s F. This allows for successful overseeding results for late season renovation after the end of playing seasons. Late season renovation provides protection for winter and early spring.
SUGGESTED OVERSEEDING RATES:
- Golf 10-15 lbs per 1,000 sq. feet
- Sports Turf 15 lbs per 1000 sq. feet
- Landscape 10 lbs per 1000 sq. feet
- Low maint. turf 8 lbs per 1000 sq. feet
BENEFITS OF SOS (SUPER OVERSEEDING)
- Predictable spring transition
- The best in turf-annual performance
- Extremely high traffic tolerance
- Fast germ and establishment
- Germ and growth with cooler late season overseeding
- Strong competition against most weeds
- Economically priced when compared to perennial and intermediate ryegrasses
“One of the healthiest ways to gamble is with a spade and a package of garden seeds.”
– Dan Bennett
Is your lawn able to recover from flooding?
Unforunately, turf that’s been under water more than 4 days, especially in hot weather, is likely a loss.
Should You Repair or Resod After a Flood?
Follow the instructions below to salvage your lawn or reinstall grass.
1. Remove debris – nails, wooden pieces, muck(sediment), etc.
2. Decide whether to repair or resod. If your lawn is under 3 or more inches of soil/sediment, resod/replant your grass. With more than 2 inches of soil, recovery is unlikely.
If lawn is covered in less than 1-2 inches of dirt, go over it 3-4 times w/ a core type aerifier. Can also reseed at this time. We carry rye grass seeds. Fertilize with any fertilizer appropriate for the season such as Crabgrass Preventer Plus Lawn Food. Irrigate the lawn to maintain moist, but not saturated, soil conditions.
Resod your lawn
Remove as much deposited soil as possible. You can also rototill the deposited soil and original lawn soil until well mixed. Level and firm the mixed soil, water with a mixture of Root Stimulator, then resod or seed the grass. We carry sod, rye grass seeds and root stimulator.
* Check for new shoots emerging from the soil or the emergence of new shoots from surviving plants to assess damage.
For additional grass issues, take a look at F-Stop and Bug Blaster 2!
F-Stop helps with fungus such as brown patch. It is safe for grass, trees, shrubs and flower beds. F-Stop takes care of anthracnose, red thread, septoria leaf spot, copper spot, dollar spot, fusarium blight, leaf spot, melting out, crown rot, leaf smuts, necrotic ring spot, powdery mildew, rust, summer patch, take-all Patch and zoysia large patch.
Bug Blaster 2 is safe for grass, trees, shrubs and flower beds. It helps with insects like ants, sod webworms, fleas, ticks, armyworms, cutworms, leafhoppers, mealybugs, centipedes, chinch bugs, Fleas, imported fire ants, millipedes, mole crickets, scorpions, pillbugs, sowbugs, and more
Information from Colorado State University. Further reading for muck on turf.
We now have fresh Sod Pallets of St. Augustine Raleigh Grass arriving weekly at Madison Gardens Nursery in Spring, TX!
We have other sod on special order such as Bermuda Celebration Grass, Bermuda Tifway, St. Augustine Palmetto and many varieties of Zoysia Grass. Bermuda Celebration is shade tolerant grass. Tifway sod requires full sun. St. Augustine Raleigh sod needs at least 5-6 hours of sunlight.
Our sod is premium grade A grass and doesn’t have other grasses mixed in!
How to install your grass pallets:
- Prepare the ground first. Remove weeds. Dig up the ground a bit so that its not hard and compacted for better results. Use topsoil or bank sand if you need to add dirt.
- Then water the ground lightly using a mix of root stimulator which helps the roots to grow and take to the dirt.
- Place each square on the ground. Then water again with root stimulator.
- Water daily for two weeks.
- Don’t fertilize until next season. For example, if you buy grass in April then fertilize around July. If you fertilize too soon it will kill your grass.
Madison Gardens Nursery is located at 7644 Spring Cypress Rd., Spring, TX 77379.
Call us for special orders: 281-376-7625.